Thursday, December 6, 2012

Makeup Brushes: Less is More


Buying all sorts of makeup products can definitely start to put a dent in your bank account. Believe me, I know. So when it comes to makeup brushes, don't spend that hard-earned paycheck on a $50 powder brush. It's not gonna make your powder look any better!! There is not a single brush out there that I've found that is worth spending that much cash on. There are plenty of cheaper options that will give you the same results. In my opinion, its not about the brush, its more about the person handling the brush. AKA....you!! Now I have a bag full of different brushes and I could literally put on my entire face using just two of them. Its all about buying brushes that you can multi-task with. First, lets just discuss the two types of brushes:
1.) Synthetic-These are basically man-made brushes using either nylon or polyester filaments. They are not real hair and therefore are not as soft as the natural brushes. They are used to apply cream-based products such as concealer, foundation, cream eyeshadow, lipstick, eyeliner or cream blush.
2.) Natural-These are made of real hair and are used to apply powder-based products such as powder, powder blush, bronzer, or eyeshadow. These brushes are sometimes made from mink, squirrel, horse, or sable. Stay away from these because they are usually the ones that carry the hefty price tag along with the fact that poor, innocent animals are killed in the process. If you wouldn't wear a mink coat, don't buy a mink makeup brush!
Now like I said, its all about buying brushes you can multi-task with. The two brushes I use for everything are:
1.) Sonia Kashuk's Flat Top MultiPurpose Blush/Powder Brush-This brush is amazing!!  It allows me to perfectly apply my powder, powder blush, and bronzer. And at $11, you can't beat it. Sonia Kashuk has really nailed the art of making great brushes at unbeatable prices. You can find her entire line of brushes at Target. And who can resist an excuse to make a Target run?!
2.) An eyeshadow crease brush that I got from my makeup school-Sonia Kashuk also makes a great crease brush. Just make sure its pretty dense, not too soft and flimsy. The denseness of the brush allows you to apply a thick layer of shadow so it looks very vibrant and pigmented. I use this brush to apply all of my eyeshadow. I use it in my inner corners to apply that lighter color because the shape of it really allows me to get in that small space. I use it to apply my base eyeshadow color, as well as the darker shadow that I blend into my crease (hence it being called a "crease brush"). I realize a lot of people like different brushes for these steps but I've found with some practice I can do an entire eyeshadow look with this one brush.
For everything else, I use (drum roll please......) my fingers! I've found that my own flesh does one hell of a job at applying those cream-based products. I actually prefer using my fingers when applying concealer, foundation, primer, and cream blush because I find I have more control over how much product I'm using as well as the placement of the product. A lot of foundations and cream blushes actually go on better with your fingers because it really allows you to press the product into the skin, making it look more natural.
I also use those handy (and cheap!) makeup sponges to apply my foundation, primer and cream blush. I really like the wedge shaped ones. They allow for a nice even application and you can re-use them several times. If you want a more air brushed look with your foundation, use one of the egg shaped sponges and stipple the foundation onto your skin with a "press and roll" motion. Beauty Blender and  Sonia Kashuk both make great "egg-shaped" sponges
Ok I realize many people out there want to use a few more brushes to get the job done. I'm going to give you my suggestions for a few essential brushes one should own for an every day makeup look. Now be warned, I, along with every other beauty freak out there, love the Sonia Kashuk makeup brush line. You would think she is sponsoring this post but the reality is, she just makes very high quality brushes cheap enough for any budget-savvy gal to afford. Plus, they are super cute and look great on your vanity. So all of the following brushes are from her line (found at Target). But you could easily find any of these brushes in any other makeup line, though you'll probably pay 3x as much.
 1.)Multipurpose Blush/Powder Brush-Use to apply any powder product; $10.99 (Hurry this one will sell out fast!)
2.)Synthetic Flat Top Multipurpose Brush-Use to apply any creme based product like foundation, primer or creme blush; $14.99
3.) Brow Groomer with Metal Comb-Great for working through mascara clumps;$7.99
4.)Synthetic Crease Shadow Brush-Apply eyeshadow on entire lid, in crease and under the eye; $9.99
5.)Small Eyeshadow Brush-Use to apply eyeshadow, allows for maximum control over placement of color; $9.99
6.) Small Multipurpose Powder Brush-Use to blend eyeshadow or apply powder over concealer under eye; $10.99
7.)Synthetic Precision Eye Liner Brush-Use to apply gel eyeliner or smudge pencil or shadow eyeliner on upper lid or below the eye. Also to apply eyeliner to the inner rim of the eye
And make sure to get a brush cleaner to keep those brushes clean and free of bacteria. Otherwise your brushes could cause you to break out or get a nasty infection in your eye. Use an antibacterial spray cleaner to clean between uses and then shampoo them about once a week.
I hope this gives you a good place to start when it comes to shopping for makeup brushes. Just remember to always buy brushes you can use to apply multiple products with, don't break the bank to buy good quality brushes, and never underestimate the power of using your fingers!! Happy Brush Hunting!!
xo Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment