Saturday, December 8, 2012

How to Make Makeup Last All Day


It can be extremely disappointing when you get all dolled up for a night out or for a big event (like your wedding!) and you take an extra hour to make sure all the details are just right, just to catch a glimpse in the mirror halfway through the night to find your face is melting off. It’s not a pretty sight. Your blush and foundation are streaking, your eyeshadow is creasing, and your lipstick is nowhere to be seen. Tragic. So how do you avoid these midday or mid-night meltdowns?? Here are a few tips and tricks you can follow so your makeup stays fresh and pretty all night long…

1.) Primer, Primer, Primer!!! So important! I’m going to break this into 3 categories:

a.) Face Primer-I’ve gone over the significance of this product in a previous post but I will stress again what a difference it will make. Apply after moisturizer. Can find many different formulas depending on your skin type or any skin concerns you may have. Many have added benefits such as minimizing the appearance of pores, fading lines and wrinkles over time, and counteracting redness in the skin. But all primers will allow your foundation to go on much smoother and will give the makeup something to cling to, so it will last much longer. Some of my favorites: -Great for dry skin but can be used on any skin type, brightens and firms the face, and contains Matrixyl 3000, a polypeptide that actually reduces fine lines and wrinkles over time; Smashbox Photofinish-Contains silicone so it glides on smoothly and is super silky, fills in those fine lines and wrinkles, comes in a variety of different shades and formulas; -Doesn’t feel heavy or oily, works great with MUFE foundations

b.) Eyelid Primer-Crucial if you want your eyeshadow to go on smoother, look more vibrant and stay crease-free all day. With the right primer, shadow literally won’t budge. My fav is -The company’s #1 seller, try it and you’ll understand why, comes in an original formula as well as some fun shades. is also fantastic.

c.) Lip Primer-I’m actually on the fence about this one. I find that many lip primers on the market do a great job of moisturizing and prepping the lips for lipstick or gloss but they don’t necessarily make them stay on longer. I’ve actually yet to find a lip primer that really delivers on the promise of keeping your lipstick on for an extended period of time. I find that using a lipliner definitely helps lipstick from feathering and bleeding, therefore extending its longevity. Urban Decay makes a great clear, wax-like liner that you can apply before gloss or lipstick and I definitely think it helps it stay on a bit longer. The apply lipstick, blot, apply powder, re-apply lipstick trick is an oldie but a goody.  Try a lip stain if you want a sheer wash of color that lasts a lot longer than normal gloss or lipstick. I love

2.) Use Waterproof Mascara and Eyeliner-This will prevent the dreaded raccoon eyes halfway through the evening. Especially if your going to be dancing or just sitting out in the hot sun, this won’t flake, smudge or run. And if tears start to fall, you’re completely in the clear. I love L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof mascara. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencils are phenomenal and come in tons of colors, easy to blend but won’t budge after a few minutes

3.) Layer Powder Blush on top of Cream Blush- The gel/cream will give the powder something to stick to, increasing its vibrancy and longevity. No more streaking and melting blush. I love layering Benefit’s CORALista powder blush over MUFE HD Microfinish blush in #5.

4.) Use Finishing Powder over your entire face once all your makeup is applied-This will give your skin a super silky finish and will set your concealer, foundation, and blush. I’m obsessed with MUFE HD Microfinish Powder. Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder also does a great job and gives you a pretty airbrushed finish.

5.) Use a Makeup Setting Spray-This should be your final step in keeping that beautiful makeup looking freshly applied all day. I know I’ve mentioned Urban Decay a lot but its because I just started working there and so I’ve been testing all of their products and they have been blowing me away. I’ve always been an Urban Girl but now I’m a full-blown groupie. So here is another UD recommendation-the is seriously one of my favorite products ever. Just mist over freshly applied makeup and your set for the entire day. It does such a great job at keeping my makeup in place all night long and it has yet to break me out or irritate my skin. They also have formulas for dry and oily skin, which I’ve never personally used, but the youtube girls have spoken and they have nothing but good things to say about them.
So go out and have some fun knowing you don’t have to worry about your makeup all night!!
Thanks for reading!!

xo Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment